Bandhab Library Joynagar
Vill.-Uttarpara, P.O. - Joynagar Mozialpur, P.S.- Joynagar Dist.: South 24 Pgs., Pin. -743 337
About The Library
More than 100 years ago , with the help of some local young people a small library was established at the house of late Goloknath Mukherjee and it was named “ Joynagar Uttarpara Free Reading Club”. Later on, the library was started to enrich its services with many books, mainly with momentous assistance of late Aghornath Mukherjee, son of late Goloknath Mukherjee. After the demise of Sri Aghornath Mukherjee, the library faced a downfall in service. After shifting to many locations, the library was temporarily placed in the house of late Ambika Charan Ghosh.
On January, 1942, in the era of pre-independence Sri Khirod Krishna Mitra, Sri Bhabendranath Mitra, Sri Ramchandra Basu took the responsibility to renovate the library. Under the guidance of Sri Subodh Chandra Basu a well-structured and efficient working committee was made where Sri Sharat Chandra Dutta and Sri Suhas Kumar Sinha were selected as the President and the Secretary respectively and the library was shifted again to a room named ‘Basudev Kuthir’ in the house of Sri Satish Chandra Sarkar. Most probably from that time the library was named as ‘Joynagar Uttarpara Bandhab Library’.
Under the guidance of Late Sharat Chandra Dutta who was the Head Master of the local High School, the library started to enhance its services again. After some period of time, the library was moved again to the house of Gopendra Krishna Mitra.
After the demise of Sri Sharat Chandra Dutta, Sri Subodh Chandra Basu and Sri Prafulla Kumar Mitra took the charge of the library. From that time to 1948, every year money collected through donations and finally in 1952, the library got its own building. The library was promoted to rural library in March, 1957.
Telephone No : 9836608446
How to reach the library
By train>From Sealdah Namkhana, Lakshmikantapur local
- General Section
- Child Section
- Reading Room Facility ect