Nabadwip Sadharan Granthagar
Nabadwip Sadharan granthagar
349, Buroshibtala Road, Nabadwip, P.O.- Nabadwip, Dist – nadia, Pin - 741302
About The Library
Nabadwip was famous for its educational and religious culture even before the birth of lord Sri Chaitanya. Many years back scholars from different countrie’s used to come here to study various subjects like tantra, nyay etc. On 17th Feb 1907, a meeting was presided over by Pandit Ajit nath Nayaratna held at the premises of ‘ Para Ma Tala’. First executive committee was comprised of many learned men like Roy Dwarakanath Bhattacharya, Bahadur Babu Bireswar nath Chakraborty, Babu Motilal Roy, babu Jatindra mohon Goswami, Babu Jadunath Sarbobhouma , Babu Ajit nath Nayaratna. This library was formed to spread English education and to preach and revive Sanskrit language. After the demise of Edward (VII) on 03.05.1910, it was decided at the Executive committee meeting that “ Nabadwip Public library” henceforth would be named as the “Nabadwip Edward (VII) Anglo Sanskrit Library
“ in the sacred memory of our late beloved king – Emperor.” On 26.06.1918 Maharaja Sir Manindra Chandra Bahadur donated Rs. 4000/- (Four Thousand) only to this library. Bahadur Dwaraka nath Bhattacharya, Taraprasanna Bagchi, Jatindra nath Goswami, Biswaswar Chakraborty, Panchanan Mukhopadhaya , Banowarilal Goswami , Hirendra nath Goswami and others donated money for this library.
On 27.06.1914 the Tolbati of M.M. Brajanath Vidyaratna measuring 10 Kathas was purchased by this library. Cost of the land was Rs. 2138. On 18.07.1925, District Magistrate of India laid down the foundation of the library building. The construction cost was Rs 590799. Khoumish Chandra Roy Bahadur, King of Nadia donated many books to the library. Sir Ashutosh Mukhopadhya also donated many books to this library published by Asiatis Society. On 09.10.1955 this library was renamed as ‘Nabadwip Sadharan Granthagar’. This library was upgraded to Town library as per memo No 6-141-END(D) at 11.01.63. This library received grant of Rs 4 lacs for constructing its part of 1st Floor from Raja Rammohoun Roy library Foundation. This library has a central auditorium and cultural activities. This institution possesses 15000 (fifteen thousand) books. Many great men used to visit this library such as Shyamaprasad Mukhopadhaya, Subhas Ch Bose, Ashutosh Mukherjee, Megnad Saha, P.C Sarkar and Banaful.
Telephone No: 03472-241420
How to reach the library
By train – from Howrah to Nabadwipdham Railway Station – station to library( Ramsitapara) by rikshaw.
Reading Room, periodicals, panjika etc
Nearby Place of interest/ Tourist spot etc
Paramatala, Buroshib Temple, Ola devi Temple, Zognath Shib Temple, Iskon Temple, Mahaprabhu Temple, Sonar Gouranga Temple, Ram Sita Temple, Janmasthan Temple.
Any other relevant Information
It is birth place of lord Sri Chaitanya.